1kg medium / large prawns (head and shell removed, retain tail)
1/2 pineapple, semi-ripe or 1/2 can pineapple (if canned pineapple, retain syrup to replace water)
1/2 tbs belachan powder
Salt and sugar to taste
2 large daun limo (kaffir leave)
1 tbs Assam paste
1 cup of water
5 tbs oil
To blend into paste:
30 dried chillies
4 fresh red chillies
10 pieces of shallots
4 gloves garlic
2 stalk serai (lemongrass)
Thumb size lengkuas (galangal)
Thumb size kunyit (turmeric)
4 Buah Keras (candlenut)
- Fry the paste in oil until minyak percah (oil floats).
- Add in Assam paste, daun limo, belachan, salt and sugar (a little).
- Add the prawns and cook until it changes colour. Add a little water if it starts to look too dry.
- When prawns have changed colour, add in remaining water (or syrup), and pineapple. Let it simmer till boiling. Do not overcook prawns or it will harden.
- Adjust the sourness and sweetness by adding Assam and sugar. Add salt if needed.
Serve with white rice.